Lower back pain is one of the most common problem people seeking medical help. It is also the leading reason for sick leave at work.
In western medicine the common causes of lower back pain are:
- Chronic lower lumbar ligamentous strain
- Spinal osteoarthritis
- Prolapsed lumbar disc
Depending on the underlying cause of the pain, symptoms can be experienced in a variety of ways. For example:
- Pain that is dull or achy, contained to the low back
- Stinging, burning pain that moves from the low back to the backs of the thighs, sometimes into the lower legs or feet; can include numbness or tingling (sciatica)
- Muscle spasms and tightness in the low back, pelvis, and hips
- Pain that worsens after prolonged sitting or standing
- Difficulty standing up straight, walking, or going from standing to sitting
In Traditional Chinese Medicine we looked at lower back pain from a different angle. We check to see if the pain is originated from internal organs or from the energy blockages on the channels. Sometimes it could be both. In the Internal Classics the most ancient Chinese medicine book it described the symptoms and signs of back pain deriving from each of the channels. It says:
- Back pain due to the Bladder channel involves the neck, spine and hip. The patient feels as if carrying heavy weights on the back. Needle BL-40 Weizhong.
- Back Pain due to the Gall-Bladder channels feels as if one is being needled on the skin. The patient can not bend and lift the head nor turn the body. Needle GB-34 Yanglingquan.
- Back pain due to the Stomach channel makes it difficult to turn around and the patient feels dizzy when turning. Needle ST-36 Zusanli.
- Back pain due to the Kidney channel involves the inner spine. Needle KI-7 Fuliu.
- Back pain due to the liver channel makes the waist stiff like a drawn bow. Needle LIV-5 Ligou.
In Dun Laoghaire Acupuncture and Herbal clinic, we do tongue and pulse diagnosis to see if there is underlying organ weakness. We also do physical examination by palpating the affected area and identify which energy pathways (meridians) have blockages. We will then choose acupuncture points accordingly to smooth out the energy flow.
Not only we do Acupuncture in DLAHC but also we prescribe herbal remedies to help strengthening the bones and relax the muscles and tendons to gain maximized results.
Call 085 1071022 for an appointment or free consultation.