Today 24th of Jan 2018 in China people celebrates Laba festival by making Laba Rice Porridge. Laba Rice Porridge is a porridge that contains 8 or more ingredients from different types of rice, beans, dried fruits, nuts etc.
According to the legend Sakyamuni the founder of Buddhism attained enlightenment and became a Buddha the 8th day of the 12th lunar month. To commemorate this, on that day people eat rice porridge to make offerings to the Buddha every year, and the porridge was called ‘Laba Porridge’.
My Laba Porridge is made of the below:
- White Rice
- Brown Rice
- Cannellini Beans
- Adzuki Beans
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Dried Chinese dates
- Dried Longan fruits
- Lily Roots
The Laba Porridge is not only delicious but also a very good tonics to the body for the winter. Let’s look at the health benefit of my ingredients:
- Cannellini Beans – Tonify Kidney, boost Spleen energy, warms the interior, remove dampness
- Adzuki Beans – Remove dampness and edema, tonify Stomach and Spleen
- Black Sesame Seeds – Tonify Kidney and Liver. Make the hair and skin lustrous
- Dried Chinese dates – Tonify Spleen and Stomach. Tonify blood.
- Dried Longan fruits – Tonify the Heart and Spleen energy, calm the mind
- Lily Roots – Tonify Heart, calm the mind
After Laba festival we will soon have the Spring Day. Hooray…